Members can come to Prishtina Hackerspace to hack and learn whenever they want. Members can bring their friends, colleagues, and collaborators to Prishtina Hackerspace to work on projects with them. At Prishtina Hackerspace, membership means taking responsibility and committing to help to maintain, improve, and govern Prishtina Hackerspace. As a member of Prishtina Hackerspace, you don't just come here to hack and learn, you actively work to improve what you see around you, help to deal with problems, and make this community better than it is today.
- 1 Non members
- 2 How to become a member
- 3 What you are paying for
- 4 Types of Membership
- 5 Membership plans
- 6 Dues
- 7 Membership responsibilities
- 8 Inactive Membership
- 9 Resignation, Suspension, and Termination of Membership
- 10 Fundraising
- 11 Funds Allocation Petition
- 12 General Guidelines
We try to make sure our events are as open to the public as possible. Wednesday night Open Meetups at 6:30PM are open to anyone. If you'd like to know if people are at the space, or arrange a time to visit, your best bet is to post to the Prishtina Hackerspace Google Group after checking our website's header to see if the space is open or closed, or ask anyone on IRC. In addition we have workshops and other open events that anyone can attend.
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING
- We used to have an open door policy, but because it was abused, we decided that we will not allow any more non-members inside unless the non-member is accompanied by a paying/active member which is as well physically present at the hackerspace and takes full responsibility of the non-member's actions. If the member leaves, unfortunately you have to leave as well.
- Non-members who use the space extensively accompanied by a member must consider membership or otherwise make donations to support the continued operation of Prishtina Hackerspace.
How to become a member
- We do not issue 1 month memberships
- If you are applying as a first time member, you must pay in advance for 3 months of the membership plan you choose.
- The first and most important step to join Prishtina Hackerspace is to simply come to a Meetup! We meet every Wednesday night from 06:30PM CET at Prishtina Hackerspace. (Location). Get to know us!
- Join our mailing list and other communication channels.
- Read the About page, Newcomer section (menu on the left) on this wiki and The Hackerspace Manifesto
- Read all of the Membership details in this page.
Membership application procedure
- (Not mandatory) After you've finished the steps above, it's time for you to create an account on this wiki, edit your user page to introduce yourself as explained on People's page, remember you are still a guest.
- Now you need to:
- Four Prishtina Hackerspace members will anonymously review your application and decide either to approve or not your membership.
- Your acceptance will be communicated to you via email, and also on a Wednesday Open Meetup.
- Once Prishtina Hackerspace has agreed to have you become a member, you will have to pay your dues.
- Until you pay your dues, you are not going to be a member yet of Prishtina Hackerspace. If you have not arranged to pay your dues within thirty days of your agreement to have you as a member, you wont be able to be considered as a member, and must go through the joining process again.
Once Prishtina Hackerspace has agreed to have you as a member you have couple of things to do:
- Make sure that your wiki user page is updated with the Role section, projects and other details you want to share about yourself.
- Please send an email to Prishtina Hackerspace mailing list and make sure you introduce yourself there, our IRC channel and also in a Wednesday Open Meetups.
- Welcome to our family!
Note: All members are in good standing except a member who has failed to pay his or her current monthly membership fee, or any other subscription or debt due and owing by the member to Prishtina Hackerspace, and the member is not in good standing so long as the debt remains unpaid. Member dues may be waived for a two month period due to financial hardship or relocation by written letter to Prishtina Hackerspace that will be approved by the Senior members.
Any person of age 16 y/o or older is eligible to become a member:
- Completion and signature of your membership application form.
- Your membership application form has passed the review process by four of our members.
- Verification of your completed membership form by the Prishtina Hackerspace members.
- Timely payment of dues as determined by Prishtina Hackerspace.
Any person under 16, but older than 14 needs to follow the same process, however a parent or a guardian should be signing for you.
Persons under 14 are not eligible for a membership, but very welcomed to be our guests. Persons under 14 need to be always accompanied by an adult responsible for the person in word.
What you are paying for
- COMMUNITY: Access to the extensive skills set and resources of the Prishtina Hackerspace members
- Our members have a wide range of interests, hobbies, and professions - from server administration to welding, music and art. As a Member you will be able to learn from us, as well as have the opportunity to teach in return. To see some of the skills members have, check out the People page.
- 24/7 access to the space (Key, alarm pin, membership RFID card)
- 25/25 Mbs Internet speed (donated by Artmotion)
- Clean space (We all clean after ourselves, but we also have a cleaning lady who comes once in 2-3 weeks)
- Don't worry about warm or cold weather, we've got that taken care ofǃ
- Storage space for member projects
- There are dedicated shelves that you can store the projects you're working on. All you have to do is label your stuff. If you're asking about securityː Our hackerspace is secure thanks to Besa Security company. There are members present in the space most of the time (different hours). Worst caseː If anyone brakes in, we've all lost somethingǃ ː)
- Access to hackerspace services, tools and equipment (Use anything that's not labelled otherwise)
- Printers, 3D Printers, Room 101 (wood + metal working tools), Electronics laboratory equipment, electronic junk that you can hack, access to additional services like hackerspace internal servers for testing purposes etc.
- Access to Hackerspace computers and laptops
- Access to kitchen (Yes you can cook your own meal, we have all the equipment, you just have to take care of cleaning the dishes you use)
- CHEAP Coffee
- Access to organized classes (Free or half the price as a member)
- Voting rights (see also Types of membership below)
- If requested: A @prishtinahackerspace.org email address and access to all other internet services.
- Ahh and lots of FREE fruits from our backyard :) (Quince, Pears, Apples, Cherries, Plums...)
... and many more. Come and visit to see all of itǃ
Types of Membership
| Regular Members enjoy the following privileges:
| Being a Senior Member should be considered a privilege, you earn it!
All regular members are eligible to become Senior members upon being part of the family (regular member) for at least 4-6 months.
Senior membership is sponsored/voted by at least 4 other Senior members of Prishtina Hackerspace.
Senior Membership in addition to the Regular Membership gives you the following privileges:
Prishtina Hackerspace has two different Membership plans for both Regular and Senior members:
WE DO NOT ISSUE 1 MONTH MEMBERSHIPS
| These packages stand for students and under 18, unemployed, or someone who just feels like this is the right amount to contribute. |
| Feel free to choose this package if you are employed / have an income, or just wat to contribute more to our cause.|
- All members are in good standing except a member who has failed to pay his or her current monthly membership fee, or any other subscription or debt due and owing by the member to the corporation, and the member is not in good standing so long as the debt remains unpaid.
- Member dues may be waived for a one month period due to financial hardship or relocation by written petition signed by more than three quarters (3/4ths) of the Senior Members. Payment of dues may be waived for any other reason only by voting members at a called meeting.
- Grace period of paying the membership dues is within the month / 1 month
Payments can be made via our ProCredit Bank Kosovo account (receipt needed), or in cash (preferred method)
You can pay your dues via direct bank transfer. Please email us the transfer invoice after the payment at email@example.com
Process the payment with the following details:
Name: Free Libre Open Source Software Kosova
Bank: Procredit Bank
Account No: 1110309975010102
IBAN: XK05 (use)
Please use this comment when processing the payment: "Donation, Membership for MONTH"
Please note that if your total owed balance is greater than 1 month of your membership plan, your account (RFID card) will be automatically deactivated, as a result you will not be able to access the space, and Membership rules/guidelines will apply.
Members must fulfil the following responsibilities:
- Be excellent to each other!
- Be excellent to each other is the guiding principle of Prishtina Hackerspace. Wikipedia uses a somewhat similar rule, which they call "the fundamental rule of all social spaces. Every other policy for getting along is a special case of it." Unlike Wikipedia, Prishtina Hackerspace takes a positive approach, and avoids the practice of officially enumerating the myriad potential special cases; "be excellent" is enough.
- A member must thoughtfully contribute to Prishtina Hackerspace direction and policies.
- A member must pay the monthly fee as determined by Prishtina Hackerspace.
- A member must at most bring up to two guests when space is available.
- If a member continuously hosts events they are strongly encouraged to follow the renting rules.
- A member must provide their details as required in the application form.
- A member must keep his/her profile page updated
- A member must consider participating and helping out in Prishtina Hackerspace activities
Please also read the general guidelines below!
- A Member may temporarily designate their status as Inactive and suspend their membership dues, rights and responsibilities for reasons including, but not limited to, academic pursuit or professional relocation.
- The member must send their notice of Inactive Membership to the member mailing list or voting / senior members, stating the reason for their membership inactivity.
- After notification, inactive status for the Member will begin on their first non-payment of monthly membership dues. For the duration of the inactivity, he or she shall not be considered a Member and he or she will not be able to access the space with their RFID card. The Inactive Member may at any time again become a Member, provided he or she assumes the Member Rights and Responsibilities in full.
Resignation, Suspension, and Termination of Membership
- Membership suspension or termination voting
- Membership can be suspended for a to-be-determined duration of time approved by a majority vote of the voting / senior members.
- Membership can be terminated by more than three quarters (3/4ths) of the voting / senior members
- Membership may be suspended or terminated for:
- Allowing a suspended or expelled member to enter the space
- Non-payment of dues (suspended).
- In consequence of violating rules from General Guidelines
- In consequence of violating the anti-harassment policy.
- Any other reason called out by members.
- Notice of membership suspension or termination
- A suspended or terminated membership will be notified via email to all members.
- Notice of suspension or termination shall be given by any method reasonably calculated to provide actual notice to the member being suspended or expelled.
- The notice of special resolution for expulsion may be accompanied by a brief statement of the reasons for the proposed expulsion.
- The member shall be given an opportunity to be heard, either orally or in writing, before the effective date of the proposed termination.
- The hearing shall be held, or the written statement considered, by the members.
- Restoration of suspended membership
- Any suspended member (due to non-payment of dues) may restore their membership 30 days after suspension upon payment of dues owed and payable through one month beyond the end of the suspension period.
- In order for the suspension to be lifted, the suspended member must go through the same vetting process as occurs on acceptance of a new member.
- Any member may resign by filing a written resignation on paper or via email to members mailing list or to the voting / senior members.
- Resignation shall not relieve a member of unpaid dues or other monies owed.
- A person ceases to be a member of Prishtina Hackerspace
- by delivering his or her resignation in writing to the voting / senior members or members mailinglist,
- on his or her death,
- on being expelled, or
- on having been a member not in good standing for 2 consecutive months, except by special arrangement at the discretion of the Senior Members.
- Access to the space
- Upon resignation, suspension or termination, members will be removed from the access list for the door, and unsubscribed from the member email list. They may remain on the discussion list if they so choose.
- Upon termination or suspension, if member continues to show up at the space despite being asked/warned not to, he/she might be called out to the police for trespassing.
- Prishtina Hackerspace reserves the right to limit membership based on the capacity of the space.
- Prishtina Hackerspace will keep account of funds acquired by donations, events and workshops. Proceeds from these activities may be designated towards a specific fundraising effort of the donator or hosts choosing. The proceeds for a fundraising effort will only be used for the stated purpose of that effort at the time of their accounting.
- A fundraising effort can be terminated at the request of the fundraiser or a quorum membership vote.
- When a fundraising effort is completed or terminated, any remaining funds will be accounted to the general fund.
Funds Allocation Petition
- Senior Members have the right to submit a Funding Allocation Petition (FAP) to senior membership to allow the release of general funds. FAPs will include:
- Total amount of the requested funds.
- A short description of how the released funds will be spent towards the collective use, collective benefit or collective prestige of Prishtina Hackerspace.
- Approval and disapproval for a FAP can be gathered through physical or electronic means over the course of one week.
- When more than 50% of senior members in good-standing, excluding those that have voluntarily suspended their voting rights, have approved a FAP, it is given to the Treasurer, and upon verification it is approved. Members may rescind their approval at the time of verification; or any time prior to final verification.
- One week after submission, a FAP that has not received a full 50% approval from senior members in good-standing, excluding those that have voluntarily suspended their voting rights, will end. At that time, the FAP passes if two conditions are met:
- More than 50% of members in good-standing, excluding those that have voluntarily suspended their voting rights, have responded to the FAP with either approval or disapproval.
- More than 50% of those senior member responses approve the FAP.
- The Treasurer will notify the membership when a FAP is approved and include the following information in the notification:
- Total amount authorized for the FAP.
- The verified members authorizing the FAP.
- FAP authorization will expire 2 months after approval. When the FAP authorization expires, the remaining FAP funds return to the general fund.
- Talk to people and make friends. Part of the point of Prishtina Hackerspace is interpersonal interaction, and we want to meet you and learn about whatever cool project you're working on. It's amazing how often random discussions between people can result into things that show up on the world stage.
- On the other hand, do be sensitive to people's desire to stop talking and start hacking. If someone starts looking away, returning to their laptop or project, or begins walking away, consider that you might be the Nth person to strike up a conversation with them, and they may want to actually get something done.
- Pull your own weight. We don't have housekeeping service, so clean up after yourself and put things away when you're done. In fact, you're going to get a lot of good karma by tidying up twice the amount of space you use on a regular basis.
- If you find yourself having to explain something in the space more than once, you should probably label it.
- Bringing minors to Prishtina Hackerspace might result in them being exposed to ideas outside of your control, and you probably shouldn't bring them if that's going to be a problem.
- Please ask before playing music through the public audio systems, especially if people are quietly enjoying the space, or instead use headphones!
- Do not give your hackerspace keys to a friend of yours or anyone else. You have to be present at the hackerspace with your guests.
- Don't talk about politics or religion if you want to avoid conflict. Prishtina Hackerspace attracts a certain kind of personality that gets irate when they suspect someone thinks they're wrong, and even mentioning you support a different political or religious group than them can really push their buttons if they're having a bad day.
- Please do not open the door to a non-member, unless he/she is accompanied physically by a active paying member which is physically present at the hackerspace. Otherwise you will take full responsibility of their actions or be called out for suspension.
- Prishtina Hackerspace is your hackerspace, not your home. Living here is definitely an anti-pattern, so don't even try to do this!
- Everything in Prishtina Hackerspace is hackable. If you don't want something taken apart and turned into a giant robot the moment your back is turned, leave it on your shelf, or mark it clearly with your name, a way to contact you, the date, and what you're doing. Even then there are no guarantees -- it's just mildly rude to hack on a labelled thing unannounced, as opposed to positively encouraged.
- If you can't throw something away in a full garbage can, you should probably empty it.
- Don't bittorrent from the space, it causes lots of problems for other people trying to use the network. Please don't download copyrighted content illegally using our Internet links.
- If you're going to smoke cigarettes, smoke outside of the building or on the balcony. Don't smoke inside!
- Drugs are strictly not allowed, they are as well illegal by the state. You are asked to report anyone who abuses this rule to members list. If you get caught, note that you will automatically be suspended or your membership will be terminated forever.
- Borrowing stuff from the hackerspace is not allowed especially without asking on the mailing list is surefire way to cause problems. Do not do it!
- Do not do anything at Prishtina Hackerspace or involving Prishtina Hackerspace which:
- Is Illegal.
- Could affect a political election campaign, express or implied, incumbent or not.
Prishtina Hackerspace is a place for persons of all backgrounds to make amazing things. Therefore, Prishtina Hackersapce is dedicated to being a harassment-free hackerspace for everyone. Prishtina Hackersapce establishes the following policy to ensure a harassment-free atmosphere.
The Prishtina Hackersapce community will not tolerate any harassment, verbal or physical, on the basis of race, color, religion, gender-identity, sexual orientation, nationality, age, disability, physical appearance, parental status, political beliefs or any other distinction that creates discomfort for an individual. The Prishtina Hackersapce community will not tolerate any harassing behaviors including, but not limited to, unwelcome sexual attention, sexual images in public spaces, deliberate intimidation, stalking, harassing photography or recording or inappropriate physical contact.
Anti-Harassment Community Guidelines
Prishtina Hackersapce presents the following guidelines to prevent harassment.
- When community members and guests express a limit to the amount and type of socializing they wish to engage in, abide by that limit.
- You are encouraged to express any socializing limits you may have.
- When you question whether a joke, question, statement, or other communication would be considered inappropriate, do not proceed to communicate.
- When you are asked to stop any harassing behaviour, comply immediately.
- Always strive to be excellent to your fellow hackers.
Violation of this Policy
All persons asked to stop any harassing behaviour are expected to comply immediately. Prishtina Hackersapce encourages persons involved to discuss transgressions of this policy in a mature manner prior to reporting an offense to the Senior Members. If the harassment continues or the transgression is severe, Prishtina Hackersapce encourages the community to report the behaviour to any founding/leading member of the hackerspace. The Senior members are committed to take all claims of harassment seriously and to treat all concerns with the strictest confidentiality.
When a violation of this policy is reported to the senior members, the senior members will open an investigation. The members will seek all necessary information from all persons involved, evaluate the information, and develop a plan of recourse within the senior member's powers. The Senior members are empowered to take the following actions against persons in violation of this policy:
- A warning
- A temporary ban from the premises for a to-be-determined duration of time approved by a majority vote of the Senior members.
- A permanent ban from the premises approved by a unanimous vote by the Senior members.
The Senior Members skip to more serious consequences at their discretion. A warning will only be given once.
We will keep a record of all allegations, information gathered, and penalties assessed. This record will only be accessible by the leading Senior members of Prishtina Hackerspace that are the equivalent of the Board of Directors.