- 1 Do I need to be a paying member to come to Prishtina Hackerspace?
- 2 How does one become a member? What is the cost of membership?
- 3 I don't really want to be a member, but I'd like to support what Prishtina Hackerspace is doing. How can I help?
- 4 Do I have to be a member to attend classes or workshops?
- 5 I'd like to donate a bunch of stuff I don't use anymore. What can I give you?
- 6 How do (junk) donations work?
- 7 Are you a hackerspace or a makerspace?
- 8 Should I be scared that your hackerspace will break into my computer?
- 9 Will you hack into someone's facebook for me?
- 10 When is Prishtina Hackerspace open?
- 11 Can I keep active projects in the space?
- 12 What happens if I bring my tools into the space?
- 13 What if I'm not technical at all, can I still come at Prishtina Hackerspace?
- 14 What are the beneficiaries as a member?
- 15 How and Can I organize activities in Prishtina Hackerspace
- 16 How old should I be to become a member
Do I need to be a paying member to come to Prishtina Hackerspace?
No, we try to make sure our events are as open to the public as possible. Tuesday night meetings at 6pm are open to anyone. In addition we have workshops and other open events that anyone can attend. Generally, we have an open door policy to let anyone into the space to work. This is contingent on members being at the space to let you in. If you'd like to know if people are at the space, or arrange a time to visit, your best bet is to post to the Prishtina Hackerspace Google Group or ask anyone on IRC
How does one become a member? What is the cost of membership?
Please check out Membership page for instructions on how to become a member. Membership dues are 10EUR per month for students and persons under 18, and 15EUR or more (as desired) for people who have income, are employed or just want to help our mission at Prishtina Hackerspace. We're funded entirely by dues and donations, so we encourage everyone to be a full member if they can afford it. Of course you can always donate additional funds if you're so inclined!
I don't really want to be a member, but I'd like to support what Prishtina Hackerspace is doing. How can I help?
Thanks! Join in on some of the projects and events we have going on. Spread the word about Prishtina Hackerspace. That's what we consider helpful support.
For financial support, you can Donate to Prishtina Hackerspace in many ways. Every little bit counts and we appreciate it.
Do I have to be a member to attend classes or workshops?
No, most of our classes and workshops are open to everyone, in case there is a fundraising workshop/event/class or you have to pay for the equipment you buy for the workshop being held. Check out the Prishtina Hackerspace activities Calendar page to see upcoming events and classes.
I'd like to donate a bunch of stuff I don't use anymore. What can I give you?
Well thank you! We do currently need quite a lot of equipment. Please check out Equipment to see if your items would be unneeded duplicates. The amount of space we have is limited, so we have to be efficient about what we take in. :-)
- We don't want any CRTs, tube TVs and tube computer monitors. These take up a lot of space and aren't useful in our modern flat screen world.
- We have tons of old computer hardware, so we don't need any of that. Modern computer hardware would be appreciated though.
- If you have broken electronics you want to donate, it'd help us greatly if you strip out useful components first (i.e. stepper motors, power supplies, things like that).
- We appreciate any and all donations, but please try to be thoughtful of about what is useful. We want to avoid using Prishtina Hackerspace for electronic waste storage!
How do (junk) donations work?
Junk donations are a problem in the space right now. If you want to bring something by the space, please check with members to get a general feel for whether or not it will be a good thing to hack. There are better resources for getting rid of your junk.
Are you a hackerspace or a makerspace?
It doesn't matter. Hackerspace is the preferred term of the 'hackerspace movement'. Makerspace could be used when you don't want to scare someone who doesn't understand the true history of the word hacker.
Should I be scared that your hackerspace will break into my computer?
No, that's not what we do at all. We don't break into peoples website, facebook account or anything similar. We use the term hacker in the the historical 'creative use of technology' sense, not the 'media cybercriminal' sense.
Will you hack into someone's facebook for me?
When is Prishtina Hackerspace open?
Our space is open maybe 24/7. Those who wish to visit the space and need access are advised to contact an existing member, or check on IRC if there's any doubt as to whether or not anyone will be at the space.
Can I keep active projects in the space?
Yes! If you have something that won't fit on your shelf, it's best to get the approval of the membership to bring it to the space. Common sense should apply here.
What happens if I bring my tools into the space?
Members can keep personal tools and items on their shelves, which are kept separate from donated tools and items. Tools given to the space (not kept on shelves) are considered to be a donation to Prishtina Hackerspace, accessible to any member at any time. Donations are not returnable or refundable.
What if I'm not technical at all, can I still come at Prishtina Hackerspace?
That is not a problem at all, you don't have to be technical to come at Prishtina Hackerspace Prishtina Hackerspace will welcome all technology, digital culture and knowledge-minded:
- Installation artists,
- Digital artists,
- Technology user groups,
- Musicians and
willing to learn, share knowledge and work on hands-on projects.
What are the beneficiaries as a member?
- Access to the space
- Access to the extensive skills set and resources of the Prishtina Hackerspace members
- Our members have a wide range of interests, hobbies, and professions - from server administration to welding, music and art. As a Member you will be able to learn from us, as well as have the opportunity to teach in return. To see some of the skills members have, check out the People page.
- Access to public tools, additional services, and free classes
- Voting rights (see also Types of membership below)
- Members should be getting a @prishtinahackerspace.org email address and access to all other internet services.
Read more under Membership page.
How and Can I organize activities in Prishtina Hackerspace
How old should I be to become a member
You should be at least 16 years old to become a member and that with the permission of an adult (parent or guardian). Please read more about this on the Membership page.